How to have a better relationship with your co-parent

On Behalf of | Jul 3, 2019 | Firm News

If you are no longer in a relationship with the parent of your child, it is likely that the two of you have gone through some difficult times. However, it is important to put your differences aside for the sake of your child. This is easier said than done because this requires the cooperation of both parties.

If you are struggling to collaborate effectively with your co-parent, you may blame them for being stubborn, easily aggravated and unreasonable. While you cannot control their behavior, you can control your reactions to their behavior. This can, in turn, have a profound effect on the way that they behave. The following are some simple actions that you can take to solve issues in your co-parenting relationship.

Create consistent parenting rules

If your child is subject to inconsistent rules between houses, it is likely that their behavior will be inconsistent, too. You should make sure that both you and your co-parent have agreed on certain behavioral standards. It can be beneficial to write these down together. The standards should be a compromise between the two of you and can include things such as weekday bedtimes, time outs and chores.

Have an open dialogue but keep rules fixed

Make sure that you can talk to your co-parent about your concerns. The more that you open up the conversation, the smoother that communication is likely to be. However, while communication should be fluid, boundaries and schedules should not. Your co-parent should know that it is not acceptable to miss visitation appointments or drop-offs since this will negatively affect your child.

Provide positive updates

Positivity is contagious. Even if you and your co-parent have a strained relationship, you should try and keep them updated regarding your child’s progress. Sending photos or anecdotes that will bring a smile to their face is likely to strengthen your relationship.

If you are having difficulty co-parenting with the other parent of your child, you may want to consider filing for a modification of child custody in Pennsylvania. This could help you to create a more stable and healthy routine for your child.

FindLaw Network